Get Connected using Social Media
Valley View School District 365U encourage teachers, students, staff, and other school community members to use social networking/media as a way to connect with others, share educational resources, create and curate educational content, and enhance the classroom experience.
What is a PLN?
A Personal Learning Network (PLN) is an online, supportive network of people you can learn from. These people might be other teachers in your district, or teachers from around the world that you’ve never met in person. Your PLN is shaped by your interests, learning needs, technical skills and ultimately, your contribution within an online community.
Social Media Platforms & Account Types
Online communities can be established using many types of social media. The most popular social media platforms in education include Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest and YouTube.
Educators are encouraged to create social media accounts to use for personal professional development and learning. All accounts should adhere to the district's Acceptable Use Policy
VVSD Social Media & Communication Guidelines
Valley View School District recognizes that access to technology in school gives students, parents, and teachers greater opportunities to learn, engage, communicate, and develop skills that will prepare them for work, life, and citizenship. We are committed to helping students develop 21st-century technology and communication skills.
All Valley View School District staff members who intend to establish a social media account as an official representative of the district must submit this form for official approval. Your account can also be added to the VVSD Mobile App, if requested using this form and approved by district administrators.
Using Social Media for Personal Professional Development
Social media and online networking can be extremely valuable for personal professional development. Here are some things to keep in mind when posting to social media.
- Use good judgment - refer to the district's Acceptable Use Policy when posting to social media.
- Nothing is private - assume any information you share on social media is public and visible by anyone.
- Be respectful - always treat others in a respectful, positive and considerate manner.
- Know when to NOT share - do not post any information that is considered confidential or private.
- Ask permission - when posting photos of students or coworkers, ask permission to post to social media.
- Be a good digital citizen - model appropriate digital citizenship and online safety behavior for your students and peers.
- When in doubt - check with your building administrator if you are unsure whether to post something.
Looking to get started? Here are some ideas on how to use social media for personal professional development.
- Search for news stories, research articles & trending topics
- Share lesson plans and collaborate with other educators
- Get instant advice, guidance and support from your PLN
- Follow hashtags, like #VVSDLearns to keep track of what's happening
- Live tweet at a conference to share your experience & connect with others
- Share your accomplishments!