Digital Apps Requiring Family Consent
Dear Valley View Parent(s)/Guardian(s),
Valley View Community Unit School District #365 (“Valley View”) has invested in our students by providing every student a Chrome Tablet or Chromebook (electronic devices running on Google’s Chrome operating system) to enable attendance in classes at Valley View in conjunction with the leveraging of Google’s “Workspace for Education Fundamentals”.
We’re excited by the enhanced learning opportunities that we have been able to provide our students, with the provision of a one-to-one computing device and access to Google’s "Workspace for Education Fundamentals". Google’s “Workspace for Education Fundamentals” is a set of communication and collaboration tools used by tens of millions of students and teachers around the world. Google’s “Workspace for Education Fundamentals” includes Core Services (e.g. Gmail, Drive, Calendar and Classroom) and Additional Services (e.g. YouTube, Maps, and Earth). In combination with Google Classroom and Seesaw, Valley View students will use their Workspace for Education Fundamentals account to connect with engaging and meaningful learning while developing the skills they’ll use in their future careers. At Valley View, students will use their Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals accounts to participate in activities such as completing assignments, communicating with teachers, signing into Chromebooks, and learning 21st century digital citizenship skills. Valley View is seeking your permission to provide and manage a Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals account for your child, including allowing your student access to the Additional Services.
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals accounts in its Workspace for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://gsuite.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html. Your consent acts as an acknowledgment that you have read this document, including the information contained in the Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals Privacy Notice, in its entirety and consent to allowing Valley View to create/maintain a Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals account for your child. This consent includes allowing your child to access both Core Services and Additional Services. Additionally, by providing consent, you agree to allow Google to collect, use, and disclose information about your child only for the purposes described in the Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals Privacy Notice below and in accordance with Valley View policies / procedures.
At Valley View we take the security and privacy of your child’s data seriously. Student data and technology use is governed by state and federal regulations including but not limited to:
Failure to provide this consent when registering your child indicates to the District that you are not in agreement with these terms and do not consent to allowing your child to use Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals. Based on this response, Valley View will limit your child’s Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals account to only access the Core Services (Gmail, Drive, Calendar and Classroom). Please feel free to reach out to PrivacyOfficer@vvsd.org if you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter.
Executive Director of Technology, Valley View School District
Workspace for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their Workspace for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google, that Valley View chooses to utilize (described at https://workspace.google.com/terms/user_features.html). At this time, not all these services are utilized by Valley View and not all students’ access all the applications that Valley View chooses to utilize.
In addition, we also allow students to access certain other Google services with their Work Space for Education accounts. Specifically, your child may have access to the following “Additional Services”:
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from Workspace for Education accounts in its Workspace for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://workspace.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html. You should review this information in its entirety, below are answers to some common questions:
What personal information does Google collect?
When creating a student account, Valley View may provide Google with certain personal information about the student, including, for example, a name, email address, and password. Google may also collect personal information directly from students, such as telephone number for account recovery or a profile photo added to the Workspace for Education account.
When a student uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
How does Google use this information?
In Workspace for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
In Google Additional Services, Google uses the information collected from all Additional Services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Google and its users. Google may also use this information to offer tailored content, such as more relevant search results. Google may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services.
Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
No. For Workspace for Education users in primary and secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an Workspace for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an Workspace for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the Workspace for Education account?
We may allow students to access Google services such as Google Docs and Sites, which include features where users can share information with others within Valley View. We do not allow students to share information publicly.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
Google also shares non-personal information -- such as trends about the use of its services -- publicly and with its partners.
What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
First, you can consent to the collection and use of your child’s information by Google. If you don’t provide your consent, we will limit the Workspace for Education account for your child to only include Core Services, and Google will not collect or use your child’s information as described in this notice.
If you consent to your child’s use of Workspace for Education, you can access or request deletion of your child’s Workspace for Education account by contacting the District’s Information Systems Security Manager at PrivacyOfficer@vvsd.org. If you wish to stop any further collection or use of your child's information, you can request that we use the service controls available to limit your child’s access to features or services or delete your child’s account entirely. You and your child can also visit https://myaccount.google.com while signed in to the Workspace for Education account to view and manage the personal information and settings of the account.
What if I have more questions or would like to read further?
If you have questions about our use of Google’s Workspace for Education accounts or the choices available to you, please contact PrivacyOfficer@vvsd.org.
- Children’s Internet Protection Act (47 CFR § 54.520) (CIPA): a federal law that requires Valley View to utilize content filtering applications to ensure that the content your student accesses on the internet meets specific internet safety requirements.
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (16 CFR § 312) (COPPA): a federal law prevents the collection of online data from persons under 13 years of age.
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g)(FERPA): a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.
- Illinois School Student Records Act (105 ILCS 10/1, et seq.) (ISSRA): a state law that governs the content and distribution of student records.
- Student Online Personal Protection Act (105 ILCS 85/1, et seq.) (SOPPA), a state law, effective July 1, 2021, that governs data privacy, student data collection and use by school districts, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) and education technology companies. Additional information about SOPPA can be found on the District’s website or by emailing PrivacyOfficer@vvsd.org.
- Chrome Sync
- Cloud Search
- Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
- Google Hangouts
- Google Chat
- Google Meet
- Google Talk
- Google Analytics, Google Earth, Google Maps, Google Takeout, Managed Google Play, Socratic, YouTube (with safe search enabled). A list of additional services is available at https://support.google.com/a/answer/181865, and instructions for administrators about how to enable or disable them are available at https://support.google.com/a/answer/182442.]
- device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
- log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user's Internet protocol (IP) address;
- location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
- unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
- Cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
- With parental or guardian consent. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent (for users below the age of consent), which may be obtained through Workspace for Education schools.
- With Valley View Workspace for Education accounts, because they are school-managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
- For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the Workspace for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- Enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.