Emergency Response ProceduresHard Lockdown Procedures
- In the event of a lockdown the alarm tone will sound throughout the building. Immediately begin lockdown procedures.
- Students in the hallway should be brought into the nearest classroom/office.
- Classroom/Office: Turn door lock to the locked position.
- Disregard all other alarms. Ignore fire alarms and all bells unless instructed by the School Incident Commander or emergency personnel. (Emergency personnel have master keys to the building and will let themselves in if needed).
- If outside the building at the time of the lockdown (alarm tone sounding) students and staff should report immediately to the designated Reunification Site.
- ALL building occupants must execute hard lockdown procedures. This includes: district staff/employees, students, visitors, volunteers and security staff.
Soft Lockdown Procedures
- Close classroom doors and windows.
- Remain in classroom or office areas until further notice.
- Take attendance and keep record of students in your classroom. If you have secured students in your room/office during the lockdown, please keep those students in your room/office until the lockdown is complete.
- If outside the building and alarm tone sounds, listen for further instructions on your walkie-talkie from the building administrator or the Incident Commander.
- All exterior doors should be closed, locked and monitored by designated staff members.
- No one is allowed to enter the building without approval of the Incident Commander or the building administrator.
- Make a list of absent/missing students. (Students that are not accounted for from the time you started class. If a student was sent out on a bathroom pass or was called out of the room on a call slip they would be entered on the list).
- Make a list of all students that you secured in your room/office from the hallway or other areas.
- No one is allowed out of the building until the lockdown is over.
Reverse Evacuation Procedures (Soft Lockdown – if outdoors)
- If outside: Listen for instructions on your walkie-talkie from the building administrator or Incident Commander.
- If re-entry is necessary, enter through designated emergency doors (entries nearest gym, cafeteria or auditorium).
- Take attendance and report any missing students to the School Incident Commander or building administrator.
- Once inside, no one is allowed to leave the building until an All Clear is given by the Incident Commander or building administrator.
Evacuation Procedures (Fire Alarm)
- Instruct students/visitors to evacuate to the Student Evacuation Site. (See Fire Escape Plan for location and exit information)
- Be prepared to take alternate evacuation route if necessary.
- Close your door; turn off lights and bring your class roster.
- Take attendance at the Student Evacuation Site.
- Stay at the Student Evacuation Site until further instructions are received.
- Bring the Color Coded Classroom Status Card with you.
Shelter-In-Place Procedures (Outside Threat – Tornado)
- Inside: Move students into the designated shelter areas. (See Tornado Drill Information)
- If outside: Move inside the building to designated shelter areas.
- Close doors and windows.
- Bring classroom roster with you to shelter area.
- Take attendance at the shelter area.
- Report absences when requested.
- Have everyone kneel and be ready to duck and cover their heads to protect themselves from debris.
- Stay at designated shelter areas until further instructions are received.
Drop, Cover and Hold Procedures (Immediate Tornado Procedures)
- Instruct everyone to move away from glass windows, glass display cases and heavy objects.
- Take attendance and report absences to the School Incident Commander when requested.
- If outside the building and unable to move to the safe area, drop to the ground, place head between knees and cover head with arms and hands to protect from debris.
- Stay away from power lines, trees and non secure structures or buildings.
- All students and staff who have moved into shelter areas in the building because of severe weather should kneel down against the wall and cover their head with their arms and hands.
- Anyone who is receiving bomb threat information or observing anything suspicious should report the incident to a building administrator.
- Anyone who received a bomb threat by telephone should utilize the Bomb Threat Checklist.
- Visually scan the room for unusual or suspicious noises, items or objects.
o The visual scan should include all low, middle and high areas of the room.
o Do not touch anything that looks suspicious.
- Use a classroom phone to call the main office to report any suspicious items or noises.
- If evacuation is ordered, proceed to the designated Reunification Site.
- Do not use cell phones, two-way radios or pagers within a half mile radius of the school.
- Take a class roster with you.
- Take attendance at the Reunification Site and report any absences when requested.
- Do not close classroom windows or doors.
- Stay at the Reunification Site until further instructions are received.
Robert C. Hill Elementary School
616 Dalhart Avenue
Romeoville, IL 60446
Phone: (815) 886-4343
Fax: (815) 886-7299
Línea Telefónica en Español:
(815) 886-2700 ext. 6477
To report a student absence:
Press 2 and please leave a detailed message