School Closing Information
The superintendent has the responsibility of whether to close or delay school or release students early when inclement weather is predicted. Transportation and Maintenance staff members are assigned to check the roads and weather conditions throughout the district. These staff members will also take into consideration all reports received regarding road conditions, reviews radar images, and consulting with the local branch of the National Weather Service.
Notifications about changes in our school schedule will be sent directly to parents/guardians and district staff via the Parentlink notification system. Information will also be posted on the VVSD website and the VVSD mobile. School closing information will also be given to local radio and television stations who subscribe to the Emergency School Closing Center.
Local Media Outlets
CBS - Channel 2, NBC - Channel 5, ABC - Channel 7, WGN - Channel 9, FOX - Channel 32, CLTV
AM Radio Stations
720 AM, 780 AM, 890 AM, 1340 AM, 1580 AM
FM Radio Stations
93.5 FM, 95.9 FM, 96.7 FM, 98.3 FM, 100.7 FM, 105.5 FM
Please Note: Throughout the winter months pick up times may vary due to traffic conditions, road blocks, or icy streets. Please be patient and have your student ready to avoid more delays. Afternoon storms or heavy accumulations of snow may be cause for an early release schedule from school or cancellation of afternoon programs. Please make sure a parent/guardian is available to receive children when the bus arrives home early on these days. Students living in inaccessible areas or on steep hills may have to make arrangements to meet their bus at a different location; please speak to your driver for these changes. For additional information regarding bus routes, contact the Transportation Department at 815-886-6686.
During inclement weather when elementary school activity buses are cancelled, all after school activities will be cancelled. These activities include but are not limited to detention, various practices, clubs, sporting events, tutoring, misc. programs, etc.
- On early release days there will be NO After School Care Program.
- On days of cancelled after school activities, the After School Care program will be held.
- PreK and Kindergarten: If school is released early (morning) or cancelled, parents/guardians of students in afternoon classes will be informed that afternoon sessions have been cancelled.
Middle & High School
In the event of a whole day district closure due to inclement weather the building Athletic Director may recommend the participation of a team in scheduled competition provided that:
- the travel conditions / weather at the time of the recommendation is clear and safe.
- the recommendation is personally made by the Athletic Director to the Superintendent / Assistant Superintendent.
- the recommendation is received by the Superintendent / Assistant Superintendent by 1:00pm on the day of competition.
Outside Groups / Park District
- If a building is closed for the day no outside groups may use the building during that day.
- If building / district after school activities are cancelled an outside group may use buildings for activities as scheduled.
- No Outside Groups / Park District may schedule events on district teacher institute days, parent/teacher conference days, or holidays.